The Favor of God:
CAN WE OBTAIN GOD’S FAVOR?
HOW CAN WE DO IT?
WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY?
“And the LORD gave the people favour in the sight of the Egyptians, so that they lent unto them such things as they required. And they spoiled the Egyptians.”
A few observations on the subject of the favor of God and what one must do to obtain it.
Once upon a time not long ago, a discussion ensued over the many miracles and blessings that God showers upon His people.
“God has blessed me exceedingly abundantly above.”
“But why? Why did he do it? He’s blessed me my entire life!”
The following observation was made and it stuck in this writer’s mind.
“You must have had the favor of the Lord. When someone has the Lord’s favor, even a man’s enemies will give him their treasure.”
Searching the Scriptures, it was decided that this must have come from Exodus 12:36. The LORD gave the children of Israel favour in the sight of the Egyptians and the Egyptians gave them jewelry, gold, silver and fine clothing.
But every woman shall borrow of her neighbour, and of her that sojourneth in her house, jewels of silver, and jewels of gold, and raiment: and ye shall put them upon your sons, and upon your daughters; and ye shall spoil the Egyptians.
And I will give this people favour in the sight of the Egyptians: and it shall come to pass, that, when ye go, ye shall not go empty.
So what exactly is the favor of God–and how can we get it?
The best definition of the word favor is “demonstrated delight.” The favor of God can be described as “tangible evidence that a person has the approval of the Lord.” When we favor someone, we want to be with him or her. We delight in him. We connect with her in a way we don’t connect with everyone. We usually favor people who also favor us. In the same way, God shows favor to the ones who delight in, connect with, and give honor to Him. Isaiah 66:2 says, “These are the ones I look on with favor: those who are humble and contrite in spirit, and who tremble at my word.” Second Chronicles 16:9 says, “For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong on behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him.” To be “perfect” toward Him means we seek His favor more than we seek the favor of anyone else, even ourselves.
Okay, so what does the Bible say about the favor of God and obtaining it?
- God favors those who are humble and contrite in spirit and tremble at His Word – (Isaiah 66:2)
- Whoever finds wisdom finds favor with the LORD (Proverbs 8:35).
- Who the LORD finds righteous, he covers them with His favor (Psalm 5:12).
- The LORD bestows favor and honor on those who walk uprightly. (Psalm 84:11)
- Psalm 30:5 says that God’s anger is for a moment, but His favor is for life.
- Proverbs 3:1-4 says that those who keep the commandments of the Lord “find favor and good success in the eyes of the Lord and man.”
- The humble will find favor with the Lord (Proverbs 3:33-35).
The first list is what the Bible says specifically about favor. The second list are five people the Bible says found favor in God’s eyes.
- God granted Job favor (Job 10:12).
- Joseph found favor with God and He prospered everything Joseph set his hand to. (Genesis 39:3–4)
- David asked the LORD for His favor several times in the Psalms (119, etc). David was assured of the Lord’s favor.
- Mary, the mother of Jesus was called “the highly favored one” by the angel of God (Luke 1:28)
- Noah found favor with God (Genesis 6:8)
Do you have the favor of the Lord? Do you want it? The first list tells the reader how he may obtain such favor.
Now, there are a great many Bible verses that touch on “grace.” The meaning of grace is “unmerited favor.” That’s favor that God grants out of His infinite mercy to those who call upon His Name.
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Again, the entire New Testament is filled with verses about the grace of God and the grace of Our Lord Jesus Christ. If the reader is intrigued, here’s a couple links to learn more.
Gospel of Jesus Christ: Power of Eternal Life
Eternal Salvation Through Jesus Christ: Salvation Messages from End Times Prophecy Report
But grace is a whole other topic for another piece.
The closing Scripture doesn’t mention favor specifically, but it’s about those who have the favor of the Lord.
“When a man’s ways please the Lord, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him.”
Are your ways pleasing the LORD?
Do you want the favor of God?
- God’s Favor through Jesus
- Do You Know if You are Going to Heaven? Be Sure!
- Favor with God
- God Favors
- Separating from the World: END TIMES SURVIVAL
- Make Your Calling and Election Sure: End Times Survival
by Jeremiah Jameson
–with Mondo Frazier
© Jeremiah J. Jameson and End Times Prophecy Report, 2012-14. © Mondo Frazier, DBKP and End Times Prophecy Report, 2007-14. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Jeremiah J. Jameson and End Times Prophecy Report with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
Link Disclaimer: inclusion of links to other blogs/websites is not necessarily an endorsement of all content posted in those blogs/websites.
4 thoughts on “Favor of God: How to Get the Favor of the Lord?”