“…covetousness, which is idolatry”
The Bible says that covetousness (greed, wanting things) is idolatry.
The USA is a land filled with idols–particularly around Christmas time.
OR as it’s known: The Season of Greed.
Millions of Early-Bird Shoppers turn out on Thanksgiving – A cultural shift has taken place over the last 10-12 years: what little actual emphasis was on “giving thanks” on Thanksgiving Day has been eclipsed by the spirit of covetousness.
Not that Thanksgiving was ever devoted to giving thanks all day.
Thanksgiving was about giving thanks for maybe a minute or two–during the grace at dinner and a few TV prayers.
Otherwise, the focus of the holiday had morphed into food and drink, football games, family and travel.
Thanksgiving was an incidental happening. But at least lip service was paid to the concept.
Sadly, even that has ceased in most households across the World’s Most Christian Nation™.
The Curse of Black Friday has, hour-by-hour, slowly edged into Thanksgiving until the actual event consists of a few hours of traditional Thanksgiving (a big meal with some family and/or friends) with Black Thursday-Friday consuming many hours of planning, researching and list-making.
Now, very clearly, the emphasis is on DEALS! and saving a few bucks on the latest electronic gadget.
Black Friday is aptly named.
BLACK FRIDAY IN HISTORY
BLACK FRIDAY – That vile, American celebration (though it is no longer strictly an American celebration only) of covetousness and greed known as Black Friday is not unique as a name.
The name Black Friday has been used for days other than the day after Thanksgiving.
A few of those other days known as Black Friday are:
- Black Friday (1869), the Fisk-Gould Scandal, a financial crisis in the United States
- Black Friday (1881), the Eyemouth disaster in which 189 fishermen died
- Black Friday (1910), a particularly violent women’s suffrage event in England
- Black Friday (1939), a day of devastating bushfires in Victoria, Australia, which killed 71 people
- Black Friday (1945), an Allied air attack against German ships in Norway
- Hollywood Black Friday (1945), a riot at the Warner Bros. studios
- Black Friday (1978), a massacre of protesters in Iran
- Black Friday (1987), a tornado in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- Black Friday (1993), a series of bomb explosions in Mumbai, India
- Black Friday (Maldives), a 2004 crackdown by government forces on a peaceful protest
And that’s not all: A complete list of Black Fridays.
So, at least maybe the shopping spectacle–increasingly marked by violence and rude behavior over trinkets, trifles and trash–is aptly named.
(The above headline was from 2013. Black Friday is now recognized in 24 states.)
Was there EVER a holiday which symbolized the end times better than Black Friday?
- Punches thrown in LA County Wal-Mart over Barbie Doll
- Curse of Black Friday infects Britain
- Police across Britain called to stores to handle Black Friday curse
- Black Friday scuffles and fights in DC area
- (VIDEO) Shoppers fight over deals in Michigan City, IN Wal-Mart
In case anyone thinks that the Black Friday madness “just happened”:
- Start with a limited number of “deals”
- Add constant hype supplied by national and local media
- Stir in Americans hungry to save money: some because they are down on their luck; others, because money is very important to them.
- Top it off with family members demanding the items contained in the aforementioned “deals”
Black Friday has been planned from the beginning.
It’s a recipe for the brawls, fights and other displays of extreme greed featured on Black Friday–the most appropriately-named day of the year in the World’s Most Christian Nation™.
Yes, there are many who fancy this a “Christian nation.”
Somehow, the Black Friday violence over sweaters marked down 40 percent is a more honest reflection of who Americans really are.
But most won’t admit even that, preferring to keep alive the lie that they really are Christians.
Jesus stated it quite clearly in Luke 14:33.
“So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.”
“Forsake all that he hath?”
After standing in line for an hour, many Americans won’t even forsake that Chinese-produced sweatshop sweater.
Truly, America is living under the Curse of Black Friday.
HAS the reader been caught up in the spirit of Black Friday?
Just a little bit?
DOES the reader get asked if he’s in the “Christmas spirit“?
THAT is one spirit not mentioned in the Bible.
DOES the reader think there is something missing from all of the year-end celebrations?
THERE is still time to change direction (repent) and place one’s trust in Almighty God and His Son, Jesus Christ.
“Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve: After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep. After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles. And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time. ”
–1 Corinthians 15:1-8
“But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:”
—2 Corinthians 4:3
[Portions of this piece originally appeared in End Times Prophecy Headlines: November 28, 2013, End Times Prophecy Headlines: November 28, 2014, End Times Prophecy Headlines: November 29-30, 2014, End Times Prophecy Headlines: November 28, 2016 and End Times Prophecy Headlines: November 29, 2016.]
- BLACK FRIDAY and the SEASON OF GREED: A Uniquely American Holiday
- SEASON OF GREED: Only 13 More Days!
- Black Friday: Celebrating the Season of Greed
- BLACK FRIDAY: Greed, Coveting and FUN!
- Eternal Salvation Through Jesus Christ: Salvation Messages from End Times Prophecy Report
- Do You Know if You are Going to Heaven? Be Sure!
- Deceitful Workers are Victims of Deception Themselves
- End Times Survival, End Times Preparation
- 35 Most Important ETPR Articles
by Jeremiah Jameson
–with Mondo Frazier
image: ETPR/cooldesign, FreeDigitalPhotos.net/ETPR
© Jeremiah J. Jameson and End Times Prophecy Report, 2012-16. © Mondo Frazier and End Times Prophecy Report, DBKP 2007-2016. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Jeremiah J. Jameson and End Times Prophecy Report with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
Link Disclaimer: inclusion of links to other blogs/websites is not necessarily an endorsement of all content posted in those blogs/websites.