“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”
—Frank Herbert, Dune
Over the years, more than one person has recited the “Fear is a mind-killer” passage from the book, Dune.
Though some resort to the quote as a calming mechanism and some appear to recite the passage as a verbal shot of courage, it seems that most use the passage as a sort of mantra meant to banish fear during stressful times.
HOWEVER, this runs contrary to God’s Word–the ONLY source of truth in a world full of lies–which declares that not all fear is created equal: “fear of God” being a great asset–particularly in the times in which we live.
“By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil.”
“And unto man he said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding.”
“The secret of the LORD is with them that fear him; and he will shew them his covenant.”
“The LORD is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth. He will fulfil the desire of them that fear him: he also will hear their cry, and will save them.”
“Blessed is every one that feareth the LORD; that walketh in his ways. For thou shalt eat the labour of thine hands: happy shalt thou be, and it shall be well with thee. Thy wife shall be as a fruitful vine by the sides of thine house: thy children like olive plants round about thy table. Behold, that thus shall the man be blessed that feareth the LORD.”
“For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him.”
So, while the worldly are trusting to the words of Frank Herbert (a cog in the wheel of iniquity) to vanquish fear, God’s Word is urging believers to fear the LORD God.
Who is one to believe?
This is a clear illustration that one may choose his fear: those who have faith in the words of a sci-fi writer do not wish to live with any fear; those who have faith in God and His Son, Jesus Christ, are to have a fear of God–and to enjoy all of the benefits such a healthy fear of God brings to those who fear Him.
MORE: Forfeiting the Many Benefits Promised to Those Who Fear the LORD
One thing the worldly would do well to keep in mind: those who have a fear of the LORD do not fear men.
Or men’s scary stories.
Or the deeds of men.
One more thing the worldly would do well to consider: It is easy enough to test which fear brings its possessor true peace.
“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”
One final thing the worldly would do well to remember: choosing your fear wisely is wisdom indeed.
“The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.”
It is not YET too late: there is still time to change direction (repent), place your faith (hope) for the future entirely on Jesus Christ and enter the kingdom of heaven.
DOES the reader believe he is saved?
Make Your Calling and Election Sure: End Times Survival
DOES the reader believe he is NOT saved?
Time is Running Out: Today is the Day of Salvation
- Gospel of Jesus Christ: Making a Choice
- The Gospel of Jesus Christ
- Gospel of Jesus Christ: The Power of God Unto Salvation
- Gospel of Jesus Christ: The End Times Power of God Unleashed
THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST
“Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve: After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep. After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles. And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time. ”
–1 Corinthians 15:1-8
“For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.”
MORE: Eternal Salvation Through Jesus Christ: Salvation Messages from End Times Prophecy Report
[Portions of this piece appeared originally in End Times Prophecy Headlines: October 7, 2019.]
- Forfeiting the Many Benefits Promised to Those Who Fear the LORD
- MANY Fear Man; FEW Fear God
- Torment, Fear and Affliction
- Mental Health Problems in the End Times
- Terror, Chaos, Panic, Fear: What’s Ahead for Unbelievers in the End Times
- FAITH IN THE END TIMES: Triumphant Over Fear, The World and Tribulation
- FAITH vs FEAR: End Times Survival
- Fear God, Not Man: End Times Reminder
- Fear God and Live
- Fear of the LORD is a Good Thing
- Fear of God Vs No Fear of God’s Judgment: Salvation Or Destruction
- Fear of the LORD or Fear of Man: An End Times Choice
- FEAR: Fear God, Not Man
- Fear of the LORD: Fear is Fear
- Because There is No FEAR OF THE LORD, Men Do Wickedly
- END TIMES CHOICE: Fear of the LORD or the Fear of Man
- No Wisdom, No Knowledge, No Fear of the LORD
- Mercy and Fear of the LORD Bound Together
- NO PEACE: The Wicked Cling to their Fears
- Man Struggles Against God
- God is in Control
- The Nature of Spiritual Deception
- Tender Mercies of the Lord: Will Not Always Be Available
- Eternal Salvation Through Jesus Christ: Salvation Messages from End Times Prophecy Report
- Do You Know if You are Going to Heaven? Be Sure!
- END TIMES PREPARATION: 15 Ways to Prepare for the End Times
- Deceitful Workers are Victims of Deception Themselves
- End Times Survival, End Times Preparation
- 35 Most Important ETPR Articles
- DISOBEDIENCE and REBELLION: The Wisdom of Man OR the Word of God?
- Apostate Church: Breaking Every Chain
- Persecution, Tribulation, Troubles, Trials: What the Bible says to Christians
by Jeremiah Jameson
–with Mondo Frazier
image: Photo by Alexandra Ișvănescu on Unsplash
© Jeremiah J. Jameson and End Times Prophecy Report, 2012-19. © Mondo Frazier and End Times Prophecy Report, DBKP 2007-2019. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Jeremiah J. Jameson and End Times Prophecy Report with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
Link Disclaimer: inclusion of links to other blogs/websites is not necessarily an endorsement of all content posted in those blogs/websites.
[NOTE: The following articles are from a service. We neither endorse nor at times have much control over them–although we do, of course, enjoy articles originating from this website on this service. Some articles illustrate points made in ETPR articles; some are merely for the reader’s edification or education.
ALL such links appearing in End Times Prophecy Headlines, such as those below, should originate at ETPR.
RE: our link disclaimer: there are links, from time-to-time which appear on this site which we neither approve nor endorse. The frequency of these types of links will no doubt grow worse. All effort is made to remove such links when we become aware of them.]