There is quite a LOT written about making a deal with the devil.
OF COURSE, a great deal of what is written on the topic is penned by those who are followers of Satan.
According to traditional Christian belief about witchcraft, the pact is between a person and Satan or a lesser demon. The person offers their soul in exchange for diabolical favours. Those favours vary by the tale, but tend to include youth, knowledge, wealth, fame, or power…the bargain is considered a dangerous one, as the price of the Fiend’s service is the wagerer’s soul.
Many stories have been told about those who bargained with Satan–a being of much higher intelligence than any human.
[FYI: Regardless of the above claim, Satan is not a demon, either greater or lesser.]
In the stories (as well as the occasional song) the price for Satan’s assistance in a matter is the bargainer’s soul.
SOME of the stories have the devil collecting the bargainer’s soul and the bargainer experiencing a great sense of regret at losing it. But, IF this was the case, why would one bargain with one’s soul to begin with?
So, a little thought on the matter will show the loser being upset more at the THOUGHT of losing, rather than the loss of his soul itself.
SOME of the stories have the bargainer “outsmarting” the devil–As if…–and retaining his soul. In these types of stories, the bargainer actually becomes the story’s “hero.”
A FEW of the stories have twists–where either the devil or his bargainer appear to initially lose, then win.
The BIG LIE in all of these stories is that a deal with the devil–usually an airtight legal document provided by Satan and signed in the bargainer’s blood–is UNBREAKABLE.
It is not.
IF the one who make the deal sincerely repents (changes his path) and seeks the LORD, no deal with Satan will stand.
But that would be an EXTREMELY rare occurrence.
- IF the person was willing to barter away his soul for temporary gain (pleasure, power, money, fame, etc.), then it is HIGHLY unlikely that person would suddenly receive an appreciation for his soul and the benefits of eternal life with God and Jesus Christ.
- Truly, the MOST CLEVER person would realize that he will lose ANY dealings with an entity of a higher order than himself, such as Satan. BUT, as humbleness and humility are not qualities normally associated with vain, over-confident big mouths (one of the favorite targets of Satan), most who might engage Satan in a game of Let’s Make a Deal–though they might possess a sort of crude street smarts–will come up woefully short in the “cleverness” department.
- Many workers of iniquity have cut various deals, ONLY to find out later they were scammed. That is one of the many dangers associated with dealing with a well-known, accomplished LIAR.
There are many who the world celebrates for making deals with Satan who seemed NOT to regret their deals–at least not in the popular re-tellings of their story.
One of the most well-known of the stories concerns blues musician Robert Johnson, who became infamous for cutting a deal with the devil at a crossroads. Not only have there been songs dedicated to Johnson and his infamous deal, but there have been parts of movies dedicated to the same story.
The devil got Johnson’s soul and Johnson got the musical ability which men later celebrated as “The Best Delta Blues Musician ever.”
OF COURSE, Robert Johnson was long dead before he became famous. During his short, 27-year-long lifetime, Johnson was poor and unknown.
(Wonder if he had figured that as part of his deal?)
Still, there is no record of Robert Johnson trying to wiggle out of his deal with Satan.
One suspects that any who would engage the devil to make a deal would never admit they got the short end of the stick.
There is much more to relate about those who make deals with the devil, their stories and what can be learned from their mistake.
But for now, the main point the reader should take away from this piece is
DO NOT ENGAGE THE DEVIL IN WORDPLAY.
DOES the reader know of any stories, movies or songs which talk about deals with the devil?
DOES the reader usually “cheer” for the person making the deal?
DOES the reader ever think about occasions where real people trade their eternal souls for a few years of worldly treasures?
It is not YET too late: there is still time to change direction (repent), place your faith (hope) for the future entirely on Jesus Christ and enter the kingdom of heaven.
DOES the reader believe he is saved?
DOES the reader believe he is NOT saved?
- Gospel of Jesus Christ: Making a Choice
- The Gospel of Jesus Christ
- Gospel of Jesus Christ: The Power of God Unto Salvation
- Gospel of Jesus Christ: The End Times Power of God Unleashed
THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST
“Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve: After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep. After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles. And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time. ”
–1 Corinthians 15:1-8
“For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.”
[Portions of this piece appeared originally in End Times Prophecy Headlines: February 28-March 1, 2020.]
- Hitching One’s Wagon to Satan’s Star
- Satan is the Enemy of…Who?
- Resist the Devil and He Will Flee: A Two-Step Plan
- Satan and the World Are Strong. God is Stronger
- Under Satan’s Bus
- Satan’s Expiration Date
- University of Satan?
- Man Struggles Against God
- God is in Control
- The Nature of Spiritual Deception
- Tender Mercies of the Lord: Will Not Always Be Available
- Eternal Salvation Through Jesus Christ: Salvation Messages from End Times Prophecy Report
- Do You Know if You are Going to Heaven? Be Sure!
- END TIMES PREPARATION: 15 Ways to Prepare for the End Times
- Deceitful Workers are Victims of Deception Themselves
- End Times Survival, End Times Preparation
- 35 Most Important ETPR Articles
- DISOBEDIENCE and REBELLION: The Wisdom of Man OR the Word of God?
- Apostate Church: Breaking Every Chain
- Persecution, Tribulation, Troubles, Trials: What the Bible says to Christians
by Jeremiah Jameson
–with Mondo Frazier
© Jeremiah J. Jameson and End Times Prophecy Report, 2012-20. © Mondo Frazier and End Times Prophecy Report, DBKP 2007-2020. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Jeremiah J. Jameson and End Times Prophecy Report with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
Link Disclaimer: inclusion of links to other blogs/websites is not necessarily an endorsement of all content posted in those blogs/websites.
[NOTE: The following articles are from a service. We neither endorse nor at times have much control over them–although we do, of course, enjoy articles originating from this website on this service. Some articles illustrate points made in ETPR articles; some are merely for the reader’s edification or education.
ALL such links appearing in End Times Prophecy Headlines, such as those below, should originate at ETPR.
RE: our link disclaimer: there are links, from time-to-time which appear on this site which we neither approve nor endorse. The frequency of these types of links will no doubt grow worse. All effort is made to remove such links when we become aware of them.]