“And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment”
This past week brought news that a person one had known for years had breathed her last.
Perhaps NOTHING else brings a man face-to-face with his own mortality than KNOWING a fellow member of mankind who had just died.
Actually, perhaps NOTHING else focuses one’s attention on one’s OWN mortality than the passing of someone known WELL.
No, perhaps there is NOTHING else which forces a man to confront his own mortality than the news that someone one had known SINCE CHILDHOOD is no longer among the living.
And so, a number of nagging thoughts intrude when the word arrives that someone one has known for years has shuffled off this mortal coil.
First come the thoughts SPECIFIC to that person.
“Did I pray for this person’s salvation–other than the general pleas of 1TIMOTHY 2:1?”
“I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men”
“Would this person have rejected the offer of eternal salvation if given the choice?”
“Did this person forsake all other sources of power in this world for the ultimate source of truth and power?”
Next come general thoughts which are usually only entertained at a time of death.
“Where did all of the customs and traditions come from which we use when someone dies?”
- Death Rituals, Ceremonies & Traditions Around the World (And How the West Lost Loss)
- The History of Death and Burial Customs
- Funeral Traditions: U.S. Funeral Traditions
“What do people say when they don’t want to say a person has died?”
- A list of phrases about death and dying
- Euphemisms for Dead, Death, and Dying: Are They Helpful or Harmful?
- Death Euphemisms: Why do we have so many?
“The believer KNOWS that dying is the gateway to a better, more secure eternity. Why then does the news of someone dying sometimes make a believer sad?”
“A good name is better than precious ointment; and the day of death than the day of one’s birth.”
[It finally was decided that the believer is sad because it is relized the deceased–for good or for bad–will no longer be available. It also was decided that sometimes CHANGE brings thoughts of sadness to a person when what is known will no longer be around.]
FINALLY, there comes a renewed determination to pray for the salvation of as many as one is able–EVEN IF the person praying has a hard time comprehending how those he prays for can be saved.
A determination to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ to the lost is also resolved.
And for the believer, this might be the most productive result of being touched by one’s one mortality.
“And he [Jesus] spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint”
It is not YET too late: there is still time to change direction (repent), place your faith (hope) for the future entirely on Jesus Christ and enter the kingdom of heaven.
DOES the reader believe he is saved?
DOES the reader believe he is NOT saved?
- Gospel of Jesus Christ: Making a Choice
- The Gospel of Jesus Christ
- Gospel of Jesus Christ: The Power of God Unto Salvation
- Gospel of Jesus Christ: The End Times Power of God Unleashed
THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST
“Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve: After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep. After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles. And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time. ”
–1 Corinthians 15:1-8
“For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.”
[Portions of this piece appeared originally in End Times Prophecy Headlines: January 29-31, 2021.]
- Until Mortality Touches a Man
- Deathbed Conversions: Another Tall Tale?
- Modern Death: The Lies of Bereavement
- Immortality, Live Forever: Lie of the Serpent
- Man Struggles Against God
- God is in Control
- The Nature of Spiritual Deception
- Tender Mercies of the Lord: Will Not Always Be Available
- Eternal Salvation Through Jesus Christ: Salvation Messages from End Times Prophecy Report
- Do You Know if You are Going to Heaven? Be Sure!
- END TIMES PREPARATION: 15 Ways to Prepare for the End Times
- Deceitful Workers are Victims of Deception Themselves
- End Times Survival, End Times Preparation
- 35 Most Important ETPR Articles
- DISOBEDIENCE and REBELLION: The Wisdom of Man OR the Word of God?
- Apostate Church: Breaking Every Chain
- Persecution, Tribulation, Troubles, Trials: What the Bible says to Christians
by Jeremiah Jameson
–with Mondo Frazier
© Jeremiah J. Jameson and End Times Prophecy Report, 2012-20. © Mondo Frazier and End Times Prophecy Report, DBKP 2007-2020. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Jeremiah J. Jameson and End Times Prophecy Report with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
Link Disclaimer: inclusion of links to other blogs/websites is not necessarily an endorsement of all content posted in those blogs/websites.
[NOTE: The following articles are from a service. We neither endorse nor at times have much control over them–although we do, of course, enjoy articles originating from this website on this service. Some articles illustrate points made in ETPR articles; some are merely for the reader’s edification or education.
ALL such links appearing in End Times Prophecy Headlines, such as those below, should originate at ETPR.
RE: our link disclaimer: there are links, from time-to-time which appear on this site which we neither approve nor endorse. The frequency of these types of links will no doubt grow worse. All effort is made to remove such links when we become aware of them.]