Satan talks a good game.
And the devil has to: after all, he has to first attract those he intends to destroy.
“Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour”
How does the arch deceiver play his game?
“I’ve nurtured every sensation man has been inspired to have. I cared about what he wanted and I never judged him. Why? Because I never rejected him—in spite of all his imperfections, I’m a fan of man! I’m a humanist. Maybe the last humanist.”
–John Milton (Satan), The Devil’s Advocate (1997)
Satan’s speech from the Devil’s Advocate sums up the devil’s basic game plan: Satan appeals to man’s lusts; to man’s base instincts (such as pride, arrogance and vanity); to man’s appetites.
He presents “never judging” as a good thing–instead of a characteristic which used to be called EXPERIENCE and WISDOM.
When the average reader hears “lusts, base instincts and appetites” the great majority first think of what is commonly referred to as “sex, drugs, rock ‘n’ roll.”
Perhaps after a few more minutes, other appetites of the flesh come to mind: eating and eating and eating some more (gluttony); strong drink (alcohol); smoking; clothes, drugs which attack man’s reason, jewelry, shoes: the various knickknacks and trinkets of this world (the things of the world); whatever type of human attributes excite animal lust.
IF the reader thinks a bit more beyond this, he will, no doubt, come to some of the devil’s favorite ploys: appealing to man’s vanity and arrogance; offering the world’s acclaim; using pride and the desire to “want to be somebody.”
All of which the Bible calls “the pride of life.”
“Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.”
There are several reasons why Satan uses man’s lusts, base instincts and appetites to snare his prey.
- Most men find it hard to control their appetites. Some have likened controlling their lusts and appetites to controlling a bunch of chemicals.
- While most men can control some of their appetites, it is the rare man who can control them all–or at least give the impression he has them all under control. While one man may find great joy in eating, another many have little resistance to pretty women or men. Practically everyone knows of a person who is under the spell of drugs or alcohol–and it is fairly common to live next to someone who hungers for the world’s recognition.
- IF Satan can get a man thinking about losing control of his habits, over half his battle is won.
- Some appetites are barely kept in check. It doesn’t take much to remove whatever controls a man might imagine he possesses. Satan supplies the “nudge” for a man to “break free” of his restraints.
It might be well for readers to keep in mind that “Satan is a tricky fellow.”
BUT, the reader should keep in mind:
the devil’s best tricks are usually associated with human weaknesses–such as lusts, base instincts and/or appetites of the flesh.
IS the reader aware that Satan is a master of exploiting human frailties?
It is not YET too late: there is still time to change direction (repent), place your faith (hope) for the future entirely on Jesus Christ and enter the kingdom of heaven.
DOES the reader believe he is saved?
DOES the reader believe he is NOT saved?
- Gospel of Jesus Christ: Making a Choice
- The Gospel of Jesus Christ
- Gospel of Jesus Christ: The Power of God Unto Salvation
- Gospel of Jesus Christ: The End Times Power of God Unleashed
THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST
“Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve: After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep. After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles. And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time. ”
–1 Corinthians 15:1-8
“For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.”
[Portions of this piece appeared originally in End Times Prophecy Headlines: January 20, 2020.]
- What Does Satan Use to Tempt Man?
- The Temptations of the World: You Can’t Beat the System
- Will the Reader Choke on “FUN” Or One Of the Other Names For “SIN” As He Shoots Down the Slippy-Slide To Hell?
- FUN Which Isn’t
- Man Struggles Against God
- God is in Control
- The Nature of Spiritual Deception
- Tender Mercies of the Lord: Will Not Always Be Available
- Eternal Salvation Through Jesus Christ: Salvation Messages from End Times Prophecy Report
- Do You Know if You are Going to Heaven? Be Sure!
- END TIMES PREPARATION: 15 Ways to Prepare for the End Times
- Deceitful Workers are Victims of Deception Themselves
- End Times Survival, End Times Preparation
- 35 Most Important ETPR Articles
- DISOBEDIENCE and REBELLION: The Wisdom of Man OR the Word of God?
- Apostate Church: Breaking Every Chain
- Persecution, Tribulation, Troubles, Trials: What the Bible says to Christians
by Jeremiah Jameson
–with Mondo Frazier
© Jeremiah J. Jameson and End Times Prophecy Report, 2012-20. © Mondo Frazier and End Times Prophecy Report, DBKP 2007-2020. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Jeremiah J. Jameson and End Times Prophecy Report with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
Link Disclaimer: inclusion of links to other blogs/websites is not necessarily an endorsement of all content posted in those blogs/websites.
[NOTE: The following articles are from a service. We neither endorse nor at times have much control over them–although we do, of course, enjoy articles originating from this website on this service. Some articles illustrate points made in ETPR articles; some are merely for the reader’s edification or education.
ALL such links appearing in End Times Prophecy Headlines, such as those below, should originate at ETPR.
RE: our link disclaimer: there are links, from time-to-time which appear on this site which we neither approve nor endorse. The frequency of these types of links will no doubt grow worse. All effort is made to remove such links when we become aware of them.]