A teaching common in many of the churches is that sin is pleasurable for a season.
The learner is then directed to Hebrews 11:24-25 as “proof” of this teaching.
“By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter; Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season”
Any careful reading of this verse indicates it does NOT say “Sin is pleasurable for a season.”
It DOES say
- Sin CAN BE pleasuable;
- Sin is known for providing pleasure; and
- IF Moses had chosen to hang out with those who were regulars at Pharaoh’s palace, he would have enjoyed the pleasures of that indulged sin FOR A SEASON; for a short while; for the fleeting time Moses was to be on earth.
However, to say Hebrews 11:24-25 says “Sin is pleasurable for a season.” is wrong.
Sin MAY BE pleasurable for a season, but much sin is not. No doubt, the reader is familiar with a person who indulges in sin BUT who is NOT in the least experiencing any pleasure from it.
The allure of sin goes much deeper than a mere physical pleasing of the flesh.
Any problem drinker, problem gambler or problem smoker is proof of that.
There are people who regularly suffer torment and affliction because of their sinful behavior BUT who, nevertheless, continue to engage in that behavior.
They clearly are not indulging in sin for any pleasure of the action: in their case, there is none.
BUT, the reader may say, those problem cases are long-established behaviors that have become bad habits.
What about the first-time drinker?
What about the first-time smoker?
Those individuals are NOT experiencing pleasure from their behaviors–and often testify that “At first, I hated it.”
Which is one reason it is not correct to teach that Hebrews 11:24-25 states that “Sin is pleasurable for a season.”
The reason this teaching is wrong?
It boils SIN down to a matter of pleasure–which is EXACTLY what the workers of iniquity believe.
MAKE NO MISTAKE: Any pleasure from sin enjoys a VERY short shelf life–IF THAT.
Sin CAN BE pleasurable.
Because much sin is focused on pleasing the flesh, sin OFTEN is pleasurable.
Because man’s life is so short, ANY enjoyment one might get from a sinful behavior is fleeting/temporary AT BEST.
AND, the Bible DOES have a LOT to say about the VERY TEMPORARY pleasures of sin.
“That the triumphing of the wicked is short, and the joy of the hypocrite but for a moment?”
“I have seen the wicked in great power, and spreading himself like a green bay tree. Yet he passed away, and, lo, he was not: yea, I sought him, but he could not be found.”
“Stolen waters are sweet, and bread eaten in secret is pleasant. But he knoweth not that the dead are there; and that her guests are in the depths of hell.”
But the snare of sin goes much deeper than the mere pleasing of the flesh.
SIN is rebellion–and THAT is the REAL attraction of SIN: rebellion.
Rebellion: the call of the wild; the excitement/adrenaline rush of danger; the allure of the forbidden.
Then why make a fuss over what Hebrew 11:24-25 teaches about the temporary pleasures of sin?
Because the corruption of God’s Word often starts so small as to go unnoticed by many and thought inconsequential by others.
Because the corruption of God’s Word starts small and gets bigger–MUCH bigger.
Because the corruption of God’s Word, once started, is an ongoing, never-ending process.
The modern churches are ample proof of that.
DOES the reader believe that certain parts of God’s Word are more “reliable” than others?
DOES the reader appreciate the “help” of local church officials in determining what it is that God’s Word really is saying?
It is not YET too late: there is still time to change direction (repent), place your faith (hope) for the future entirely on Jesus Christ and enter the kingdom of heaven.
DOES the reader believe he is saved?
DOES the reader believe he is NOT saved?
- Gospel of Jesus Christ: Making a Choice
- The Gospel of Jesus Christ
- Gospel of Jesus Christ: The Power of God Unto Salvation
- Gospel of Jesus Christ: The End Times Power of God Unleashed
THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST
“Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve: After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep. After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles. And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time. ”
–1 Corinthians 15:1-8
“For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.”
.][Portions of this piece appeared originally in End Times Prophecy Headlines: March 16, 2020.]
- Mark 16:9-20 – Another Satanic Attack Against God’s Word
- The Wicked and the Promises of God
- God’s Promise to Believers: O Death, Where is Thy Sting?
- Promises of God: Wisdom, Knowledge, Understanding
- Eye Has Not Seen: Promises Both Here and Beyond
- God’s Promises Are True: To Both Believers and Unbelievers
- God’s Promise: When A Man’s Ways are Pleasing to the Lord
- End Times Promises for Christians: Persecution, Tribulation and More
- PROMISES: God’s Promises of Persecution, Tribulation and Hatred of the World for the Believer
- The Wicked Will Be Afflicted: A Promise
- Man Struggles Against God
- God is in Control
- The Nature of Spiritual Deception
- Tender Mercies of the Lord: Will Not Always Be Available
- Eternal Salvation Through Jesus Christ: Salvation Messages from End Times Prophecy Report
- Do You Know if You are Going to Heaven? Be Sure!
- END TIMES PREPARATION: 15 Ways to Prepare for the End Times
- Deceitful Workers are Victims of Deception Themselves
- End Times Survival, End Times Preparation
- 35 Most Important ETPR Articles
- DISOBEDIENCE and REBELLION: The Wisdom of Man OR the Word of God?
- Apostate Church: Breaking Every Chain
- Persecution, Tribulation, Troubles, Trials: What the Bible says to Christians
by Jeremiah Jameson
–with Mondo Frazier
© Jeremiah J. Jameson and End Times Prophecy Report, 2012-20. © Mondo Frazier and End Times Prophecy Report, DBKP 2007-2020. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Jeremiah J. Jameson and End Times Prophecy Report with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
Link Disclaimer: inclusion of links to other blogs/websites is not necessarily an endorsement of all content posted in those blogs/websites.
[NOTE: The following articles are from a service. We neither endorse nor at times have much control over them–although we do, of course, enjoy articles originating from this website on this service. Some articles illustrate points made in ETPR articles; some are merely for the reader’s edification or education.
ALL such links appearing in End Times Prophecy Headlines, such as those below, should originate at ETPR.
RE: our link disclaimer: there are links, from time-to-time which appear on this site which we neither approve nor endorse. The frequency of these types of links will no doubt grow worse. All effort is made to remove such links when we become aware of them.]